Literature Guide 1: Small Space Gardening
April 17, 2014 16:21
Since no two readers are the same, we try to offer several books on each homesteading topic. The problem is, all the choices can be intimidating! Enter the Literature Guide blog series. In each installment, we read and examine a selection of books on a popular topic. We summarize each book in bullet points to help you pick the one that's perfect for you. Read on to find a great book on Small Space Gardening! Contributor: Melissa Waddell
- This is a good starter book, appropriate for the experienced container gardener looking to branch out into edibles. It appeals to the senses, and will get you excited about new projects
- Inspiring, beautifully artistic photographs.
- Offers general info and lots of specific, easy-to-follow project plans.
- This is an outstanding book, inspiring and empowering. It could open pathways for you that you hadn’t thought possible.
- All about rooftop agriculture, small to large scale operations across North America.
- Loads of information, yet compelling and easy to read.
- Includes rooftop beekeeping and livestock information.
- Best suited to the experienced grower, as focus is more on how to get a rooftop operation going than how to have success with a particular crop.
- An excellent sourcebook for converting a front lawn into a beautiful, edible growing space. Good for homeowners with some growing experience.
- Design-oriented, which can benefit anyone who needs to consider aesthetics and property value in addition to yield.
- Easy to follow instructions for converting lawn into farm
- Includes an A-Z list of the author’s favourite edible plants, plus companion plants for visual appeal.
- This book is an immersion in the culture, politics and practice of sustainable urban agriculture, useful for anyone with an interest in the topic.
- Offers climate-specific advice for winter farming in Vancouver.
- Touches on the full spectrum of potential sites for urban growing: from windowsill to empty lots to rooftops, and what you can do with them.
- Includes background on the political struggles of urban agriculture movement.